Cody portrait

Cody portrait

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Infinite Power of Hope

Hiya Hiya!

Oh dearest family and friends...

How are you? How's the weather? Because here it is freezing. I wish I knew how freezing. Temperatures don't seem to be a commodity around here.

But wow what a wonderful week it was here in the land of Wythenshawe..

Elder Cunningham and I have been walking all over this town. Mainly up to around the University and back. We are having a lot of success up there. This week we set up 30 appointments, the most we've had yet. Truly blessed with so many students with open minds and hearts!

Elder Cunningham and I are getting along great. Just where Elder Moss and I left off.

Update on Martin:

We taught him the 10 commandments and Sabbath Day...he loved it. Keeping the Sabbath Day holy was tricky for him for a bit, but he did accept it. He explained how he is starting to understand why we have been given commandments. Not to "restrict" us but because God knows what will be best for us and what will bring us true happiness. He then came to church with us on Sunday. During our combined Priesthood lesson he raised his hand to share an experience he had with a "prompting from the Holy Ghost." While studying he had a prompting to kneel in prayer, and he said it brought immediate comfort. He continues to amaze me. We are blessed to teach him and we are seeing him again tonight!

Update on Mike:

During a lesson this week, his brother showed up and didn't like the fact we were there.  He told Mike, "We'll talk about this later." No worries, Mike is a champ.  He explained to us how many people have said things to him, but how it doesn't matter. That's thanks to his strong testimony of the Book of Mormon! He also came to church this week, drove himself for the first time.  Martin also shared something during our combined lesson, but then posed a question to the teacher, "What is Tithing?" Looks like we'll have to tend to that!

Update on Lucy:

We taught her on a freezing bench this past week. She loved the Plan of Salvation. She even said the opening prayer in Chinese. Right before she said it, she asked, "Does God know all languages?" Lucy wasn't able to make it to church. It's hard because of her busy schedule. Hopefully this week we can see her more!

I am so thankful for the Christ-Like attributes we are studying, I am learning so much that applies to me and our investigators! I love it!

As I studied hope this week I filed through the Topical Guide, Preach My Gospel, conference talks, and throughout the scriptures. I found many many things that blew my mind.  A talk that I loved was "The Infinite Power of Hope" by President Uchtdorf. I loved how he talked about the difference of things hoped "for" and things hoped "in".  Your hope "in" is centered around events that have happened in the now that strengthen your hope. Such as answers to prayers,  manifestations of the spirit. I know that is real. As I have been here in England I have seen "miracles" happen. They have opened my eyes and have strengthened my individual hope.

What we hope "for" is centered around what is yet to come.  Every day here in England people ask the questions what happens after this life? Where do we go? Do the things I do matter?

I know that the scriptures and a living prophet help give us pieces to the puzzle. It may not be a written out line by line program of what is to come, but I know that the Lord has revealed to us the essential steps and blessings that do bring hope. One of my favorite scriptures I ran across this week was, 1 Corinthians 2:9. It talks about how we cannot comprehend what God has prepared for us, those "who love him".

Hope is an amazing thing! I learned the only true hope comes through Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice. I love the way President Uchdorf put it. "Embrace and rely upon the Hope of Israel, for the love of the Son of God pierces all darkness, softens all sorrow, and gladdens every heart."

I know that is true! As I have taught the Plan of Salvation I have seen investigators grasp what comes after this life. I have seen peace and comfort come into their lives. I know this gospel does bring hope. A hope that can be continually strenghtened so that when the trials and sorrow do come we may stand "immovable"!

Woah. What am I writing? A talk? Geesh... I'll tone it down next week! I just learned A LOT this past week!

Now we are headed downtown for the day! I hope you all have a great week!

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

Elder Eliason  

Cody with his new companion, Elder Cunningham from Phoenix, Arizona, who has him by half an inch in the height department. Cody has drawn most likely the two tallest elders in the mission so far.



















Elders and Sisters in Cody's district. Elder Moss (his trainer) is furthest left on top row.

Doing a lot of walking in Wythenshawe!

No comments:

Post a Comment