Cody portrait

Cody portrait

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A quick note before Mother's Day

Katrina, a recent convert
Hello Family!
I am excited for this upcomming Sunday! I will be calling around 5:30 my time, which would be 11:30 your time. With that being the case, and with some things coming up today, I'll save my week info for the phone call. A little added anticipation for you...
But it was my week for The Corner:
Missionary work is filled with setting goals, and making plans. Every week we have the same amount of time to achieve them, 168 hours. The variable is us and what we choose to do in that time. 

Throughout our week we must have in our minds continually a vision of what we desire out of each situation. This starts with asking ourselves questions such as: “What is my objective in this lesson? What do I desire to be better at this week?  What do I want to get out of church? What do I want to learn on this exchange?  What do I desire to learn in this personal study for the benefit of my investigator? What will I accomplish during this service project? Who do I want to have become at the end of my mission?” These few of many possible questions put us in the mindset of expectation.  Mastering this skill will provide increased desires and added power to act.

With having such objectives and goals comes the accountability to make things happen. Here is a story to illustrate:

Once upon a time there were four missionaries named EVERYBODY, SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, and NOBODY. There was a great and marvelous work to come to pass and EVERYBODY believed that NOBODY would do it. ANYBODY could do it, but NOBODY did. SOMEBODY became irritated with this because he thought that the responsibility to do the work was with EVERYBODY. EVERYBODY thought that SOMEBODY would do it, but NOBODY imagined that EVERYBODY would not do it. At the end of the day, EVERYBODY blamed SOMEBODY when NOBODY did what ANYBODY could have done.

 Skill of the Week:
When following up on commitments ask questions with expectation. For example ask: “Since we have last met, what have you learned from your Book of Mormon reading?”. This will show forth your faith in them, and help set the tone that you expect them to keep their commitments. A bad example would be: “Did you get a chance to read the Book of Mormon?”. Same principle applies to all follow-up. 

What desirest thou?

Elders Eliason & Hughes
Love you all!

Speak to you soon
Elder Eliason

No comments:

Post a Comment