Cody portrait

Cody portrait

Monday, January 9, 2012

"How great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth. That is why I am a missionary!"

Hello Fam!
 
What great news it is to hear that Jords and Trista are moving to Tejas! That has to be an exciting move for them, new job, new area... exciting! Where is it that they will be living?
 
Dallin made a good decision to stay and work. That will also give him some extra time to prepare for the mission. Will he be working anywhere else?  
 
Well as for my week. It has been a great one. Being pretty much in the heart of Manchester is where I have always wanted to serve, and now being here I am just loving the atmosphere, ward and the investigators that we have.
 
Updates:
 
Maurice is doing very well, like unbelievably well. He is just someone who already understands the gospel. He is like a sponge when it come to learning about the church. We show up and start to teach him and he can pretty much sum the rest of the lesson up. An example being yesterday; we taught him after church about President Thomas S. Monson, and he just started telling us about his background and what his impressions were. His desire to learn and his real intent to act have been the keys to him progressing so fast. He is going to be baptised this Saturday!
 
We have been working with a less-active man by the name of Bill Lancaster for the past couple of weeks, and on Sunday he came to church for the first time in 5 years! During the first lesson that was taught he became very emotional to the topics surrounding the church, you could see the soft spot that he had from his previous years of activity. And now through his choice, he has committed himself to come back to church. It was fast and testimony meeting and he got up and bore powerful testimony of his way back, and how much it meant to him to be back. It goes to show that people can change!  
 
We are also teaching a 16 year old by the name of Brenden. We are struggling to find his commitment level, as he has been taught everything, and has had many baptismal dates. A great sign though came yesterday when he got up and bore his testimony. I admired him for his courage to get up in front of the congregation. It shows something!  
 
This week I was on exchange in Hyde with an Elder from Darlington, which is up north. I'll first tell you that the accent he had was completely different to the Mancunian "twang." It baffles me to see how many different accents they can come up with here in England.  I love it!  Besides all that, it was a proper good exchange. 
 
The first night I was there, we street contacted a man that was running but was waiting at a stop light to cross the street. We told him what we were sharing, and we asked if we could come along. He said "as long as you can keep up with me, you can share your message." Done deal. For the next 20 minutes we jogged along side him teaching him about the restoration. Elder Ringwood and I would just do what seemed like a "Flying V" in a group of flying ducks. When he would pass it to me, I would come to the front and he would fall back behind us. Sounds a bit nuts, but it was a great lesson. The man was impressed with our willingness, and took to us very well. We'll see what happens in the future.
 
Side note: Over the past couple of weeks we have been driving around Sister Preston's car, because ours has been in the shop. They said 3-4 days...it's been 3-4 weeks. But we aren't bothered, we get to drive around in a 2010 Chevy Cruze! Thank you Sister Preston for your kindness!
 
There is a talk that I have been studying all week that I would like you to have a look at:  Integrity of Heart by Russell M. Nelson. I could talk all day about how much I learned from it. Share with me next week your impressions.  
 
Weekly scriptures: (or what I have pondered over this week...)
 
"..And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father."
 
Ether 12:37
 
This scripture teaches me the importance of constant self-evaluation. God gives us weakness so that we can be humble, and ultimately to help us to make them strengths. But if we are oblivious to the weaknesses, or too proud to accept what we are doing wrong, then how could God help us? But therein lies another challenge with "seeing" our weakness. We may feel depressed that we cannot overcome the weaknesses that we see.  I have found the answer to this problem in the Book of Mormon. Just before Moroni seals up the record he gives us this counsel...
 
"Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God."
 
Moroni 10:32
 
I along with Moroni testify that the power of God will be manifest to help us overcome our weaknesses. When we keep to our covenants and move forward with courage, putting our trust in God, He has promised that all things will turn out for our good. I, along with Lehi say "how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth". That is why I am a missionary!  
 
I love you all!
 
Have a great week!
 
Love,
 
Elder Eliason

No comments:

Post a Comment